In the past, Microsoft Windows could be installed only by using an installation disc, CD or DVD-ROM.
Many windows users nowadays use a bootable USB drive to install either Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or 7.
Using a bootable USB for a windows OS installation comes with a lot of benefits as compared with installation from a CD OR DVD ROM.
What is a bootable Pendrive/USB.
A bootable windows pendrive is one which has all the extracted files of a windows ISO file ready for Windows installation.
Why do you need a bootable USB?
Using a bootable pendrive for windows installation is recommended due to the following reasons.
- Installation is faster than using a CD or DVD rom
- You can copy other files to the pendrive without losing the windows files
- It is portable
How to create a bootable USB.
There are several methods one can use to make a bootable pendrive for installation. In this article I am going to take you through the process using the Power ISO software.
Before we begin the process, you should have the following:
- A pendrive (16 GB recommended)
- Windows ISO file or setup (could be Windows 7, 8 or 10)
- A laptop / desktop
Making a bootable pendrive using POWER ISO.
- Download and install power ISO form HERE
- Insert your Pendrive
- Open power ISO software as administrator.
- Locate and click on “Tools” at the top navigation panel.
- A dropdown menu will open. “Click on Create a bootable USB drive”.
- A dialog box will open
- Choose the windows ISO file
- Select the pen drive you want to use for the process
- Click “Start” to commence.
- Wait for the process to complete.
You have successfully made a bootable USB pendrive. You can use it to install windows on any Windows enabled PC.
You can test your bootable USB by using it to start your PC. To do this you have to change the boot order in the boot menu.
You can get access to your boot menu by pressing any of the “Del”, “F1”, “F2”, “F8”, or “F10”3
Select your USB drive so that the next system startup will boot from it.
I will update this post with all the available software used to make pendrive bootable and also how to use the command prompt to achieve that.