As a driver in Ghana, one is required to renew his driver’s license when it expires.
In this post, PC BOSS brings you the complete steps for renewing your driver’s license and answer all related questions as well.
Importance of renewing your drivers license
To make sure you are abiding by the regulations set by the DVLA, it is required of any driver to renew their licenses every two years.
Doing this helps to avoid having issues with the police.
How long does it take to renew a drivers license in Ghana?
It is required that every licensed driver in Ghana renews his or her license every two (2) years.
Drivers License Renewal fee
- Cost for renewing one license = GHS 45.00
- Cost of renewing two licenses = GHS 105.00
Requirements for renewal of license.
- Go in person. Being present is the basic requirement for renewal of one’s driving licence in Ghana.
- Original copy of expired license
- A passport-sized photograph. Must be colored.
Steps to renewing the license.
You can either go the nearest DVLA or apply for the renewal online. See the complete steps below.
The are basically five steps that you must follow in order to get this done.
See them below and scroll down as we elaborate on each of them.
- Visit the nearest DVLA office with your expired licence
- Speak to a customer representative concerning license renewal
- Make the necessary payments (F1 payment and renewal fees)
- Mandatory eye test examination.
- Results of test and renewal
The online renewal process does not require you to visit the Drivers and Vehicle Licensing Authority’s website.
All you have to do is to get a smartphone or a computer with an internet connection. See the full steps below.
- Log on to https://www.dvla.gov.gh
- Click on “Driving License”
- Click on Renewal of Driver’s License
- The requirements for the process will be displayed to you. Read it thoroughly and ensure you have all of them intact
- Click on “Apply Online”.
- You will be redirected to the sign in page.
- Click on sign in and provide your details.
- If you are a new user, click sign up.
Click on the “sign up free” link at the bottom of the form.
Click on individual if you are renewing your license as an individual or Corporate if you are signing up as a company.
Detail required for registration
Date of birth
Place of birth
Identification Card Type
Provide Address Information
Provide residential information
Click next and proceed to the remaining stages to complete application.
Types of drivers license
- Class B
- Class C